How much curriculum time is given to History and Geography in KS2?
Edwinstree believes that History and Geography have a vital role to plan in supporting our students to read and write well. In order to develop their literacy skills through our subjects we teach one terms worth of Geography and one terms worth of History on a two year rolling program. In total students receive 3 terms of each subject over the key stage. The rationale behind this is that it allows us to teach two lessons of Geography/History a week, inputting the Humanities knowledge in one lesson and supporting students to develop their literacy skills in the next. In our trials with Year 6, we saw the Humanities literacy drive accelerated and supported students writing skills in particular.
What topics is my child covering this term?
This term Year 5 and Year 6 are exploring the question: Does China make most of our stuff? Within this enquiry they will cover the smaller questions of:
- What are imports and exports? Which do you need most of in order to make money as a country?
- What imports and exports can be found in China and the UK?
- What are primary, secondary, tertiary and Quaternary industries?
- Which industries are found in the UK and China?
- Why is China so good at making secondary products?
- What are locational factors?
- Which locational factors support China to make products?
- Are the physical features of China encouraging manufacturing? How do they compare to the UK?
- Are the human features of China encouraging manufacturing? How do they compare to the UK?
- How accessible is China compared to the UK?
- What about the resources in China how do they compare to the UK?
- What environmental impacts has rapid industrial growth had on China? Does Britain have the same problems?
- What is China doing to reduce its dependence on fossil fuels and air and water pollution problem?
If you would like to support/ read around the topic of China you might be interested in the following:
- Not for Parents China: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know (Lonely Planet Kids) Paperback – 15 Feb 2013 by Lonely Planet (Author)
- The Chinese Fairy Book Kindle Edition by DR. R. WILHELM (Author), Richard Wilhelm (Editor)
- Find Out about China Spiral-bound – 16 Oct 2006 by Zheng Qing (Author)
- BBC Story of China Episode 1
- Plastic china - film about environmental waste
- British Museum – China section