- To develop pupils’ ability to use the language effectively for the purposes of practical communication.
- To form a sound base of the skills and language required for further study.
- To offer insights into the culture and civilisation of the countries where the language is spoken.
- To develop an awareness of the nature of language and language learning.
- To provide enjoyment.
- To encourage positive attitudes to foreign language learning and to speakers of foreign languages and a sympathetic approach to other cultures and civilisations.
- To ensure that all pupils of all abilities have access to the languages curriculum.
French Year 5:
The focus during this term is on building confidence through oral work and engaging activities. The programme of study covers:
- Personal identification, birthday and age
- Classroom objects and interactive language
French Year 6
More written and reading tasks are introduced to balance the listening, speaking. The programme of study covers:
- House and home
- Use of authentic materials, ICT, video and printed
- Basic grammar relating to verb patterns
French Year 7
- Pupils have two hours of French per week. The programme of study this term will cover:
- Daily routines, reflexive verbs
- School subjects, preferences and justifications
- School time-table
- Activities after
- Writing and reading longer passages about a school day.
- Creating a short film or presentation about our daily routine
French Year 8
In addition to French most pupils have the opportunity to study German for 1 hour a week. Pupils have two hours of French per week. The French programme of study covers this term will cover:
- Introduction to the perfect tense (passé compose)
- Travel and countries
- Combining tenses (past, present and future with aller)
- Passé composé (perfect tense with être and avoir)
- Irregular past participles
- French speaking countries